People today are becoming more and more conscious and aware of how the body works, its problems, and how to overcome them. One of the primary concerns nowadays is how to lose weight, and people usually want to achieve this with natural products. Keeping a healthy weight is important for maintaining optimal health, to prevent yourself from experiencing complications such as diabetes, heart stroke, and osteoarthritis, and more.
With the extensive list of other health conditions that it may help, CBD for weight loss is quickly gaining attention. CBD has already displayed some positive evidence as a potential treatment option for conditions such epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease and arthritis, and now weight loss has been added to the equation.
By now you are probably wondering, how in the world CBD could make you slimmer? Believe it or not, a connection has been made between CBD oil use and lower rates of obesity. But to understand how CBD oil can aid in weight loss, it’s important to realize the difference between cannabis and CBD. After all, you probably associate cannabis with getting a fuzzy high and a strong sense of the munchies. And let’s face it, this seems like a great way to gain a few extra pounds rather than lose some.
The bottom line is that CBD oil doesn’t have the same effect as traditional cannabis. Rather, it is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that is found in the cannabis plant and is becoming popular for its various health benefits. The association between CBD oil and weight loss is confusing, since certain cannabis strains are known for increasing appetite. However, it’s important to remember that cannabis and CBD oil are not the same thing. Furthermore, there are actually very few strains of cannabis that have been found to increase appetite.
Obesity rates are extremely high in the US, and all around the world. There are nearly two billion overweight adults worldwide, and almost half of those can be classified as obese. Being obese or even just overweight can lead to disease and illness. Could overweight people benefit from the use of CBD?
Research Studies on How CBD Can Support Weight Loss
Unlike THC, which is the cannabinoid often used to stimulate appetite, CBD seems to have the opposite effect. In a study conducted at the University of Reading, three different cannabinoids were compared, and CBD was found to reduce the total food consumption in rats.
In another study, published in the May 2016 copy of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, it was found that CBD plays a major role in a process known as “fat browning.” As part of the study, researchers looked into the effects of CBD on immature fat cells (preadipocytes). The goal was to explore the potential of CBD to treat and prevent obesity. Researchers concluded that CBD could assist with:
- Boosting the activity level and number of mitochondria in the body’s cells. This helps the body to burn more calories.
- Stimulating proteins and fat genes that encourage the oxidation and breakdown of fat.
- Decreasing the generation of fat cells, or expression of proteins involved in lipogenesis.
All of these findings are a collective result of the ability of CBD to induce fat browning, which is the process of converting white-colored fat tissues into beige-colored fat tissues. White-colored fat is known to store energy, while beige-colored fat burns it.
Research Studies on CBD’s Effects on Obesity
Obesity comes with many complications, and these complications can often create additional health risks like metabolic syndrome. Doctors think that metabolic syndrome is usually connected to obesity, and they believe that it’s linked to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), as well as cardiovascular disease and the onset of Type II diabetes.
A study that was published in the Journal of Hepatology looked into the effects of CBD in Vitro on NAFLD and hepatosteatosis. They found that CBD:
- Was able to inhibit the development of hepatosteatosis and increase yolk lipid mobilization
- Induce post-translational changes in various proteins, indicating increased lipid metabolism
- Reduce accumulated lipid levels
In addition, other similar studies have indicated that CBD could treat and potentially prevent liver disease in obese individuals.
CBD has shown a clear correlation between alterations in weight gain and emotions that are associated with food and appetite. It’s clear that the effects of CBD on obesity can have a significant impact on how much we eat, the way we eat, and when we eat.
How Does CBD Oil Help for Weight Loss and Obesity?
CBD works with a regulatory system in the body known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system mediates and organizes many functions in the body, including sleep, mood, the reproductive system, and – you guessed it – appetite.
The ECS manufactures its very own cannabinoids and consists of many cannabinoids receptors. These can be found throughout the body, and CBD is thought to interact with the two most well-studied receptors, CB1 and CB2. These are the signal molecules that influence cannabinoid and hormone production, and send it to where it needs to be in the body.
The CB1 and CB2 receptors can be activated by the bodies naturally occurring cannabinoids, or by phytocannabinoids like CBD and THC. The function of THC or CBD in the ECS is to assist the body’s naturally occurring cannabinoids to activate the receptors, which boosts their overall performance and ability to help maintain balance within the body.
Being either over or under weight affects homeostasis (the body’s natural balance). While CBD is known to stimulate appetite in those who need increased nutrition, it may work as an appetite suppressant for those who need to lose weight. It’s all about the matter of homeostasis.
The cannabinoid activities that occur in the in the hypothalamus region of the brain affect food-seeking behavior and appetite. When endocannabinoid concentrations are high, they can increase the risk of obesity. However, cannabidiol (CBD) has the potential to inverse the effects that endocannabinoids have on weight gain by controlling cravings and regulating hunger.
In addition, CBD has been found to enhance many other metabolic functions such as energy storage and nutrient support. It also improves the performance of the pancreas, small intestine, and skeletal muscles.
CBD may Help to Rev Up Your Metabolism
In a report that was published by the India Times, there was a connection found between cannabinoids and increased metabolic rate, which means that your body will burn up more calories. Even more surprising, it didn’t seem to matter whether or not you had been raiding the fridge, since cannabis users generally have a higher calorie intake than non-smokers.
A study done by the University of Miami conducted a mass survey on a total of 8,500 people aged between 20 and 59. Results from the study suggested that regular cannabis users had less abdominal fat and lower blood sugar levels, which put them at a lower risk of heart disease, obesity, bad cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
If you suffer from obesity or are looking to shed a few pounds, it’s certainly worth looking into CBD oil. It’s completely natural and is not thought to cause any harm to your body, unlike many other weight-loss solutions, diet pills, etc.
However, it’s still important that you follow a healthy diet and get regular exercise so that CBD oil can provide maximum results. And of course, always consult with a medical professional before you decide to start using any new substance — especially if you are already taking some sort of medication.
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner’s Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here’s What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- What’s the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What’s the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here’s How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- “I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Green Roads CBD Review
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code