Anorexia is a condition you hear a lot about, but probably don’t understand very well; if you’re describing someone particularly thin as being “anorexic” or reading in some awful fashion magazine that recommends it as a method of maintaining an ideal weight, you likely have a very skewed view of what the condition is.
In fact, Anorexia Nervosa is a serious psychiatric disorder that affects not only the sufferer’s physical state, but their mental and psychological wellbeing as well.
Obviously, the common recommended cure for anorexia nervosa is to just eat more, but that simply doesn’t help when the problem exists in your mind and as a result of self image.
There are a lot of drugs and therapy out there to try and treat anorexia nervosa, but there is one thing a lot of people have yet to try.
Could we be using CBD oil as a method for treating anorexia?
What is Anorexia?
First of all, anorexia is a lot more than you think it is. Erase that image of a 19-year-old girl who doesn’t like to eat a lot – that’s a figment of badly educated media.
Anorexia is an eating disorder and thus a psychiatric disorder. When someone is suffering from anorexia, they strive to keep their weight as low as possible through either under-eating or over-exercising.
It isn’t a simple dietary issue either; anorexia has the highest mortality rate out of all psychiatric disorders, causing sufferers of the condition to starve to death due to their own self image.
That key phrase, self image, is the main component of what constitutes anorexia. Most people don’t understand that it isn’t just wanting to be thin, it’s an actual psychological compulsion.
People with anorexia see themselves differently to how a healthy person does. When they look in a mirror, they don’t see their actual weight, but instead they see themselves as something repulsive and unsatisfactory. Their desire to improve themselves, in their eyes, comes from a distorted sense of self worth.
Treatment for anorexia is especially difficult, because anorexia’s cause is hard to pin down. According to the NHS*, treatment for anorexia is limited to different types of cognitive behavioral therapy, as well as the possibility of using antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication.
However, it’s possible that CBD oil might help those that suffer from anorexia.
What’s the Fuss Around CBD Oil?
CBD is the non-psychoactive component of Cannabis Sativa, the infamous plant that is known to get users high. Except actually, it doesn’t necessarily have this effect. THC is the component of marijuana that causes the high – CBD doesn’t do anything of the sort.
In fact, CBD has a number of useful medical properties. CBD works alongside THC to help make you healthier, as well as counteract some of the undesirable effects of THC*.
CBD, once you imbibe it, works with the endocannabinoid system, the system that exists throughout the body and helps regulate a variety of functions, including cellular regrowth and the release of brain chemicals. CBD interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors, which encourage the body to heal itself naturally by convincing you that everything is okay, so there’s no need for the body to punish itself with inflammation or pain.
However, how could CBD possible help those with anorexia? Anorexia exists in the mind, so how could the endocannabinoid system play a role?
CBD Oil, Appetite & Food Sensation
When CBD enters your body and interacts with your CB1 and CB2 receptors, it triggers a variety of different effects in your body.
Due to the fact that the endocannabinoid system exists throughout your body – even in your skin! – it can have different effects depending on what you’re going through.
One of the effects CBD has on your body is to increase your appetite. This was demonstrated in a study* conducted by Scherma et al. for the Current Pharmaceutical Design publication.
The researchers discovered that CB1 agonists – the scientific term to describe anything that helps trigger the receptor – possess orexigenic effects, which enhance appetite as well as increasing the actual rewarding value of food. It’s important to remember that a person suffering from anorexia doesn’t just not want to eat food, but they lose the positive association we have when we eat food that nourishes us.
Think back to the last time you were starving and finally ate something nutritious – that pleasant, content feeling was a direct result of having a healthy relationship with food. People with anorexia nervosa lack that feeling.
The CB1 receptor helps trigger this sensation, allowing anorexics to both want to eat more and feel better about eating in the first place.
CBD Oil & Antidepressant Effects
Anorexia is frequently linked to depression, because when people go through depression they tend to develop other psychological conditions as well.
For women, especially younger women in the western world, this often manifests itself as anorexia.
While this isn’t saying that anorexia is caused by depression, it does mean that people with anorexia frequently also have depression, which only contributes to their low self esteem and, thus, the further progression of their eating disorder.
Due to this, treating depression can help anorexia sufferers overcome their low feelings of self worth.
CBD has been proven by numerous researchers that it can help to treating depression, as demonstrated in one study* by Haj-Dahmane and Shen for the Journal of Neuropharmacology, which discovered that the system in the body that controls the release of serotonin – the principle chemical in your brain that governs how you feel – is partly controlled by the CB1 receptor.
By triggering the CB1 receptor, CBD has the potential to help treat symptoms of depression through ensuring that people are able to more easily experience a healthy amount of serotonin release.
This lack of serotonin is one of the principle symptoms of depression, and thus one of the prime reasons for the feelings of apathy and general poor mood associated with the condition.
This also has the benefit of not having the uncomfortable symptoms that antidepressants often give the depressed person, such as the infamous “leveling out” of emotions, meaning that the patient is unable to experience extreme highs or extreme lows of emotion.
CBD Oil & Anti-olytic Effects
Finally, one of the other main contributing factors towards anorexia is the feeling of anxiety.
Anxiety is that difficult to describe sensation of being overwhelmed by life’s everyday moments and choices. This anxiety can manifest itself in a number of ways, but for anorexic people, their anxieties are linked to their self image and their body.
By treating anxiety, it is possible to help treat this symptom of a person’s anorexia as well.
Various studies have been made for the purpose of exploring the anti-olytic – that means helping to stop anxiety – effects of CBD. One famous study* conducted by Zone et al. found that CBD worked to reduce the amount of stress and anxiety suffered in lab animals. By dosing them with varying levels of CBD, researchers were able to prove that CBD helps reduce stress and anxiety levels due to the rat’s responses to a variety of stressful stimuli.
Alongside this, an additional study* by Crippa et al. found that, when people dose themselves with marijuana to deal with anxiety, it is actually the CBD – not the THC – that provides them with the anti-olytic effects.
This anti-olytic effect mimics the result of many commonly used anti-anxiety medications, but CBD doesn’t inflict the user with any of the myriad side effects that frequently occur with anti-anxiety medication.
Final Thoughts on CBD for Anorexia
CBD is one of those medications that works in a variety of ways, delivering a variety of effects. It is also extremely subjective, meaning that for one it may work while for another it might not.
Instead of being an artificial substance that changes your body chemistry in possibly hazardous ways, CBD works to simply speed up or rectify issues within the human body by using the already-in-place endocannabinoid system.
This means it could help treat those conditions that are principally caused by something going wrong in the human body.
In the case of anorexia, though we don’t have a definitive cure for the condition itself (due to the fact that it’s a psychiatric disorder and it is rather difficult to just medicate it away entirely) we can help treat the issues that lead towards anorexia, such as the lack of appetite and the loss of positive association with food.
Perhaps even more importantly, we can help treat depression and anxiety, two of the most commonly associated psychological conditions.
By using CBD, it’s possible that you can help treat anorexia by treating all the various conditions surrounding it, making it a lot easier for the sufferer to get better.
It might not cure the disorder entirely, but it can help to make that first step.
- Are CBD Pills Better than CBD Oil? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe to Take with Prescription Drugs?
- 10 Best CBD Oil UK Tinctures [2018-2019 Update]
- Does the Digestive System Decrease the Effects of CBD Oil? [Answered]
- CBD-Infused Beer: The Biggest Thing to Ever Hit the Adult Beverage Market?
- CBD Oil and Coconut Oil: A Perfect Molecular Matchup?
- The 5 Best CBD Capsules for 2018 [Ranked by Potency]
- The History of Cannabidiol: A Chronological Timeline of CBD-Related Events
- Is CBD Oil Dangerous? [Busting the Myths…]
- What is a Full Spectrum Oil? [Experts Answer]
- How to Mask the Taste of CBD Oil
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Fitness Routine
- Why CBD Dabbing Can Work for Pain Relief
- Will CBD Liposomes Change the Cannabis Market Forever?
- CBD Oil for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code
- CBD Oil for Neuropathy [The Complete Guide]
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner’s Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here’s What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- Green Roads CBD Review
- What’s the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What’s the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here’s How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- “I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]