“I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
Since their domestication, dogs have been known as “man’s best friend.” However, most people who have ever owned a dog would tell you that dogs are far more than just friends, they are an integral and deeply loved part of the family.
Which is why when your dog is ailing, you would be willing to do just about anything to help them out. Certainly, this is the case in my house where our two dogs, a 7-year-old Chihuahua-Dachshund named Horatio and Kira, our 15-year-old American Bulldog-Beagle, are treated as if they were our own children — maybe even better.
Unfortunately, as Kira has gotten older and her health has started to decline, we have been forced to make a lot of decisions regarding her well-being. Of these decisions, I must say that deciding to administer CBD oil to her has been one of our better decisions.
Our Sweet Dog Kira, and How we Heard About CBD for Dogs
Kira has been a part of our family since she was rescued from a shelter here in Florida 15 years ago. When we first saw her, we were informed that she had been badly abused having been locked in a small cage without enough room for her to stand or move around. It was heartbreaking watching her first attempts to stand and come and greet us.
As was to be expected, it took Kira a long time to become accustomed to living in a loving home and trusting human beings again. Nevertheless, she eventually came around and has been an ever-present part of our lives since then. She sleeps in our bed, eats with us, vacations with us, hangs out in the bathroom with us when we shower (haha!) etc.… Growing up, Kira’s health was never much of a concern other than routine vaccines, checkups and flea treatments.
As will happen to all of us, though, as she has gotten older her health has started to suffer. When she was twelve, she became unable to stand and would walk around in circles before literally falling over on her side.
We immediately took her to the vet, where she was diagnosed with a bad case of Pancreatitis and we were informed she would not last a lot longer due to the inflammation and her age. It was at this point that I first started entertaining the idea that she should be put down.
The veterinarian gave us some prescription food and sent us on our way. Unfortunately, Kira did not like the food so my wife and I began cooking boiled chicken breast and rice for her. Even with the gourmet cooking, Kira’s appetite did not come back and she lost a lot of weight – going from fifty pounds down to thirty. In addition to the weight loss, Kira has slowly been losing the use of her hind legs and has shown signs of being in pain (such as excessive panting).This often keeps her from sleeping through the night, and when she does sleep, she would frequently urinate in her bed.
Neither my wife or I have ever been proponents of heavy narcotics, and that combined with the fact that it was getting tough trying to foot the mounting veterinarian bills, led us to think that maybe it was time to put Kira down. That is, until my wife discovered CBD oil.
My Wife Discovers CBD Oil for Dogs
I was napping late into the afternoon one day when I heard my wife arrive home and make her way upstairs. “Open your mouth,” she said.
Already feeling guilty for having slept in, I obliged willingly. She took out a dropper and dropped several drops in my mouth.
“What is that,” I asked? It tasted as if someone had put a tiny little bit of grass and earth in my mouth.
“CBD oil,” she replied, “it’s from pure cannabis… I bought some for you and the dog.”
To be honest, I had never heard of CBD oil and I thought to myself, ‘how cool, my wife wants to get me high!’ But with the dog, I wasn’t so sure.
A quick Google search quickly cleared any confusion though. Without inundating you with information, I learned that both THC and CBD oil act on the cannabinoid receptors in the human body, and both have similar chemical makeups, though arranged differently.
However, only THC has the psychoactive effects associated with the traditional marijuana “high,” and as it turns out, dogs also have these same cannabinoid receptors in their brains, and there is an ever-growing body of research into the field of CBD oil use for both humans and dogs.
In any way, if anyone was going to decide to use cannabis to help treat the dog I would have thought it would have been me, given my experience with the plant. So I was quite surprised when my wife showed up with the oil given our “historical” opposing views on marijuana.
She had apparently heard about CBD oil from her sister, whose mother in law – long suffering from a debilitating neurological disease – had been taking it for a while and found significant relief. Though it seemed like a long shot, we started administering the oil to Kira daily.
The results, to put it very simply, were no less than extraordinary. Within the first two weeks Kira was sleeping through the night, and she only had one accident in the bed during this time. And in fact, we noticed her having more energy and an overall improved demeanor within the first few days of starting her on the CBD oil – we all know that a dog can tell us as much through their eyes and facial expressions as most humans can with their words, and it was clear that Kira’s overall well-being had changed for the better.
Actually administering the oil to her, however, was not exactly the easiest thing in the world.
How We Gave CBD Oil to Our Dog
We initially started giving Kira a sublingual CBD hemp oil, which means that you have to place drops of the oil under the tongue. As you might imagine, this is not always the easiest thing to do with a dog.
However, while Kira struggled a little bit it was not too difficult for my wife and I to hold her and pry her mouth open, while one of us administered the drops. We gave her two doses a day – one in the morning and one in the evening – and like we said, started noticing obvious results within the first 3 – 5 days (and substantial results within the first two weeks).
We are still using the same initial bottle of CBD oil, but since it is beginning to run low we are considering trying out some of the brand’s CBD dog treats instead, as we assume these will be more enjoyable for Kira to consume. However, we are still slightly undecided as it’s hard to imagine switching from a treatment that has worked so well for her.
All in all, while the CBD oil has not caused Kira to become any younger or reversed the inevitable processes of aging (she still moves around pretty slowly and sluggishly like any old dog would), we undoubtedly feel that the cannabinoids have single-handedly improved her health – and more than likely, have saved her life and given us more time to enjoy with her.
While I can’t guarantee that you and your dog will have the same results or the same experience with CBD oil that my wife and I have had with Kira, I can assure you that for us, the results have been extraordinary and we couldn’t be more pleased.
[This article was submitted as a guest post from a reader, and edited for clarity.]
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here’s How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- “I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Green Roads CBD Review
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code