With CBD oil set to become a billion dollar market in the very near future, it is time to set the record straight about this exciting alternative to prescription medication by answering a few of the most frequently asked questions.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the dozens of compounds in the cannabis plant. Unlike THC, it is non-psychoactive which means it will not make you high. This lack of ‘high,’ coupled with its myriad of therapeutic effects, means it is now the subject of hot debate. Scientists are busily looking into CBD’s potential as a painkiller and as a treatment for a variety of conditions such as anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, antibiotic-resistance infections, Crohn’s disease and much more.
Is CBD Legal?
Technically, all cannabinoid-based products are still classified as Schedule I controlled substances. However, the DEA has released a statement saying that extracts containing CBD only will fall under the new drug code 7350.
CBD oil obtained from industrial hemp is legal in all 50 states as long as it contains 0.3% THC or less as it is classified as a food supplement by the FDA. At present, it is only legal to grow hemp in certain states which is why some companies source their hemp from specific European countries such as Denmark.
The lack of regulation makes it a tricky issue at present. In 2015 and 2016, the FDA issued warnings to several companies who made false claims about their CBD products. There is no testing required to prove that a product has a specific amount of CBD or THC in it. Therefore, we advise you to only choose CBD products from companies that clearly state the levels of CBD and THC in them along with a certificate of analysis from a reputable lab.
Should I Be Wary of Inhaling CBD Oil Fumes From a Vape Pen?
That depends on whether the oil product contains a thinning agent. If it does, you are better off avoiding the vape pen because the thinning agent dilutes the oil you inhale. Be especially wary of products containing propylene glycol because when it gets overheated, it produces formaldehyde which is a carcinogen. Also, products that contain thinning agent are usually derived from low-grade CBD oil, to begin with.
What is the Best Way to Consume CBD?
There are a number of interesting methods of consumption as suppliers offer CBD oil, capsules, edibles, lozenges, chewing gum, gel caps, pens and much more. The best way to consume CBD depends on what you need it for.
If you are in need of immediate pain relief, vaping CBD oil or applying it to the affected area topically are your best options. Otherwise, placing a few drops of CBD oil under the tongue for a few seconds before swallowing is the best choice because its effects will last longer; they just take longer to manifest.
How Much CBD Should I Take Each Day?
Again, this depends on what you need it for, but in most cases, 10-50 mg of the extract is enough for most people. The stronger the product, the less you need to consume. For example, with CW Hemp’s Everyday Advanced Plus Hemp Oil, you only need 1ml a day because it contains 50mg of hemp extract.
Will CBD Show Up on a Drug Test?
It is common for companies to issue drug tests on employees to ensure their productivity is not compromised by drug use. If you consume a high-quality CBD product with minimal THC, there is little chance of it showing up on a screen.
However, lower-quality CBD products may have higher levels of THC which can show up and cause you to fail your drug test. Research suggests that you have an almost 1-in-4 chance of failing a urine test if you consume 6mg of THC per day. That equates to 2,000 mg of CBD oil containing 0.3% THC. Make sure your CBD products contain a much lower dose of THC.
What is the Best Way to Extract CBD From Industrial Hemp?
We could sum this answer up in a well-known phrase: “Don’t try this at home!” Too many people try to create CBD oil through unsafe means of extraction. The use of butane or other solvents to extract CBD is extremely dangerous as you’ll end up with low-quality oil filled with harmful components.
The best way to safely extract CBD from hemp is via supercritical CO2 extraction. It is a complicated process that requires hi-tech equipment and expertise. On the plus side, the result is pure CBD oil free from additives and chemicals. The best companies also test their products rigorously to ensure the THC content is well below the limit.
Is CBD a ‘Cure-All’?
We would advise you to be very careful if a CBD seller claims their product can cure all ills. Certainly, CBD has a large number of potential benefits. Scientific studies suggest it is a viable alternative to opioids for pain management. It can also help treat anxiety disorders such as SAD and PTSD, and it is even effective when trying to manage depression.
Despite CBD’s many benefits, it would be irresponsible of us to say that it is some miracle cure. The main reason we must point this out is that scientific research on the benefits and effects of CBD is still in its infancy. Therefore, if a company suggests that its CBD oil or capsules can help ‘cure’ a serious ailment, they are dishonest.
Does CBD Cause Side Effects?
At the time of writing, there are no known severe side effects associated with CBD although, at present, there is not enough research available about long-term use to be 100% sure. There are a few side effects that have been reported by users such as:
- Low blood pressure
- Dry mouth
- An increase in tremors in patients with Parkinson’s Disease.
Most research papers believe that CBD is perfectly safe up to a daily dose of 1,500mg.
What is a CBD Oil Tincture?
A tincture is a liquid made from a plant extract. As pure hemp oil is extremely thick and viscous, CBD oil suppliers tend to use coconut oil as the basis for their hemp oil tinctures. Coconut oil is an excellent choice as it is rich in MCTs and saturated fat which works well with cannabinoids. The benefit of MCTs oils is that they trigger a fast release of cannabinoids.
Where Can I Safely Purchase CBD Online?
Going back to the issue of legality, a surprising number of people now believe that all CBD products are perfectly legal which is not the case. Remember, even in states where cannabis is legal; it is against the law to transport cannabis products from state to state.
You need to find online retailers that sell CBD products made from industrial hemp with a THC level of less than 0.3%. These items must be classified as food supplements or else the seller is breaking the law. As it is legal to transport hemp from state to state, you’re on safe ground when you choose the reputable companies we feature on our website.
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner’s Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here’s What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- What’s the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What’s the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here’s How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- “I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Green Roads CBD Review
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code