There are many ways to boost the healthiness of your cooking. The latest trend? CBD oil, a non-psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant that won’t get you high, but has been found to have various medicinal benefits.
With medical and recreational marijuana being legalized in more and more states, people are finding new ways to appreciate the famous herb. For those who aren’t fans of smoking (or are just looking to try something a little different), cooking with cannabis could be the way to go.
Although cooking usually isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you’re thinking of how to use your CBD oil, it can be a wonderful way to get your dose of CBD while also enjoying a healthy or delicious meal.
Cannabidiol (CBD) has become increasingly popular for its potential therapeutic benefits, ranging from skincare to stress management. Cooking with CBD can be a fun and new adventure on your cannabis journey, and it also makes your CBD consumption hassle free.
While it’s easy enough to take a spoonful of CBD oil or a pill to obtain your daily dose, more and more people are choosing to incorporate the compound into their everyday routine. Using CBD oil to cook not only helps to cover up the CBD flavor, but also makes the overall process more fun.
All about cooking with CBD oil
What’s so great about cooking with CBD oil? Why not just take it in the form of a capsule, use it as a muscle rub, vape it, or ingest it sublingually?
Well, cooking with CBD makes consuming it more fun, for starters, but it’s also a great way to “spice up” some of your favorite recipes — all while keeping things super healthy.
By using CBD oil as an ingredient while cooking, there are many different ways that you can incorporate the compound into different recipes. Some of the popular culinary ideas include drizzling CBD oil on top of delicious dishes, making an infusion, or adding it to tea or coffee.
When cooking with CBD oil, the most important thing to remember is that CBD, just like all cannabinoids, is lipophilic. This is a fancy word for fat-soluble. Therefore, you should ideally use oil in your recipes – hemp seed, vegetable, olive, or sunflower oil – and then just add the number of drops of CBD oil that you require before continuing with your recipe.
Coconut oil has shown to be especially effective in helping with the absorption of cannabinoids, and it’s becoming increasingly popular as a healthy alternative to vegetable oils. A great thing about CBD oil is that it’s easier and quicker to digest than other plant-based oils, and it can be used safely even in high-temperature cooking, whereas other oils begin to break down.
Another thing to keep in mind when incorporating CBD oil into your recipe is that it’s very beneficial to pair it with other healthy fats. Many of these beneficial fats are found in avocado, almond butter, coconut, and more. Consuming CBD oil together with these fats aids in absorption in the lymphatic system, and this in turn supports the immune system.
Lastly, it’s usually best to use CBD oil in something that you can easily divide into portions, such as biscuits or cakes. However, there’s no reason why you can’t add it to a curry or casserole, or even something like a stuffing mix before you roast a chicken.
Tips for cooking with CBD oil
Start small, and don’t use too much CBD
It’s very easy to add too much CBD to a recipe, especially when you first start cooking with CBD oil. This leads to bad flavors, wasted oil, and too much of the CBD effect. Less is more, at least when you are starting out.
Not only should you use a small quantity of CBD oil when first starting out, but also consider starting with smaller batches. If the recipe works out well, then you can prepare it next time with a larger batch. This helps you to get comfortable with different CBD serving sizes, allowing you to make alterations to future recipes to ensure that you get the most out of your CBD edibles.
CBD is not the easiest ingredient to cook with when it comes to temperature. Warming CBD oil can increase the effectiveness of the CBD, but higher temperatures can also kill off some of the active compounds. At temperatures that are higher than 320 to 356 degrees Fahrenheit, CBD will begin to denature.
You should never place your CBD oil on direct heat. Too high temperatures can result in the loss of terpenes, which are compounds that work together with CBD to increase its overall effects. If you heat CBD too high, it also brings out more of its bitterness.
Store your CBD oil properly
Make sure that you store your CBD oil in a cool, dark place when you’re not using it. Cannabinoids are naturally sensitive to light and heat, which leads to overall degradation in quality and potency. Degraded CBD oil may be more bitter and is also not as effective.
Stir as much as possible when cooking with CBD oil
Whether you are cooking soup, guacamole, or chocolate chip cookies, you need to mix in the CBD oil as much as possible. More than you might think is necessary. This will ensure that the CBD is evenly distributed throughout the batch, meaning that every batch offers equal potency.
Get familiar with your ingredients
It’s essential that you understand the ingredients that you plan on using and how they may mix together with CBD oil. It’s a good idea to start with a recipe that uses oil or fat-based ingredients. Butter is the perfect ingredient to start off with because it’s easy to mix with CBD oil and will help you to learn all about infusing food with CBD oil.
However, keep in mind that if you are making food without an oil or fat ingredient, this obviously won’t work. While CBD oil can be infused with many other foods, you should try to stay away from water-based ingredients.
Stick with more refined CBD oils for cooking
Decarboxylated, filtered, and other more refined forms of CBD oils usually work well with all cooking applications. However, less refined oils might leave an unpleasant aftertaste, especially in cases when you are cooking with more herb-heavy recipes.
Less refined CBD oils pair better with stronger flavors
Although more refined CBD oils are usually better, lower quality or less refined oils can be useful in recipes featuring strong flavors, like spices or chocolate. Unfiltered CBD oils also usually have more vitamins and helpful amino acids than the filtered versions.
Final thoughts on cooking with CBD oil
Cooking with CBD oil is becoming an increasingly popular method to consume CBD, and maintain a healthy lifestyle — as long as you stick to the above tips and understand that while some ingredients work well with CBD oil, others just don’t.
At the end of the day, cooking with CBD oil is a very efficient and fun way to get your CBD intake. You can get creative, try something new, and maintain a healthy lifestyle all by consuming this potent compound. However, just like any dietary supplement, you should consult with your doctor before changing your diet too drastically, especially if you are already on other medications.
- How is CBD Oil Made? [The Complete Beginner’s Guide]
- Avoid These 3 Dangers When Shopping for CBD Oil Online
- What are CBD Dabs? [All You Need to Know]
- Is CBD Safe for Kids? [Understanding the Facts…]
- CBD Oil vs. CBD Edibles [All You Need to Know]
- CBD Water: Is This Going to Be the Next Big Thing?
- Can You Cook with CBD Oil? [Advice from a Cannabis Pro…]
- What is the Entourage Effect… And What Does it Have to Do with CBD Oil?
- CBD Oil for Weight Loss and Obesity
- Why are so many MMA and UFC fighters starting to use CBD Oil?
- 10 Top Studies on CBD for 2018 [Exploring the Science]
- What is CO2 Extraction for CBD Oil? [Understanding the Basics…]
- Is Vaping CBD Oil Safe? [Understanding the FACTS]
- Is CBD Safe? Here’s What the Global Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Says…
- CBD for Spinal Cord Injury: Can it Regenerate Damaged Nerves?
- What are Terpenes in CBD Oil?
- Why are CBD Third-Party Lab Reports So Important?
- What’s the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Tincture?
- 5 CBD Oil Myths That Need To Be Cleared Up
- CBD for Cystic Fibrosis [Exploring the Science]
- Full-Spectrum CBD Oil vs. CBD Isolate: What’s the Difference?
- 5 Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
- Can CBD Oil Help People with ALS?
- CBD Oil for Anorexia [Why it Can Work]
- CBD Oil for Glaucoma [Does it REALLY Work?]
- CBD Oil for Anti-Ageing – Truth or Myth?
- CBD Oil for Dogs (and Other Pets)
- Can CBD be helpful treatment for cerebral palsy?
- CBD Oil for Eczema [Is it Real or a Myth?]
- CBD Oil for Addiction Recovery (Alcohol, Tobacco, Pain Meds, etc…)
- Can CBD Help with Muscle Spasms?
- CBD Oil for ADHD [Exploring the Science]
- Is CBD Oil a Helpful Treatment for Diabetes?
- CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures [Exploring the Science]
- The Endocannabinoid System [Explained]
- CBD Oil for Osteoporosis [What Science Says]
- CBD Oil for Sciatica [Understand How and if it Works]
- CBD Oil for PTSD [Exploring How it Works]
- CBD for Social Anxiety [Explore How it Works]
- Does CBD Oil Work as Treatment for Crohn’s Disease? [Explored]
- What is the difference between CBD and THC? [Explained]
- CBD For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD Oil for Mood Disorder
- CBD Oil for Chronic Fatigue [It Can Help]
- CBD Oil for Psoriasis
- CBD Oil for Back Pain [Here’s How it Works]
- CBD Oil as Treatment for Inflammation
- CBD for Multiple Sclerosis [How it Works]
- CBD Oil for Stress [It Works]
- Diamond CBD Review: How Do They Stack Up?
- CBD Oil for Nerve Degeneration [It Works]
- “I Bought CBD for my Dog and This is What Happened…[Testimonial]”
- HempBombs CBD Oil Review [Personal Experience]
- Kat Naturals [Full Review + Coupon Code]
- CBD Oil Dosage [What’s Best for You]
- Medterra CBD Oil (Full Review)
- CBD Oil for Increased Appetite
- CBD Oil Not Working For Me (Here’s Why…)
- CBD oil for nausea [Understand How it Works]
- I Bet You Had No Idea CBD Could Do These 5 Things
- CBD For Sleep Apnea
- CBD For Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- CBD’s Effects on Cholesterol Levels
- CBD for General Health [Does it Work?]
- CBD for Boosting Your Immune System Against Winter’s Viruses
- CBD Gummies [Do They REALLY Work]
- CBD Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis [Understanding Endocannabinoids]
- How Does CBD Oil Interact with Other Medications [Guide]
- Review of Lazarus Naturals
- CBD Brothers Oil [ Complete Review ]
- How Long Does CBD Take to Work?
- How CBD Helped Me with Anxiety [Personal Story]
- CBDistillery CBD Oil [Review + Coupon]
- CBD For Migraines [The Ultimate Relief Pill]
- Is CBD Effective For Depression? [Exploring What Works]
- CBD For Rheumatoid Arthritis [Exploring Which Oils REALLY Work]
- CBD for Insomnia [Explore Which Oils Work]
- NuLeaf Naturals (The Complete Review)
- KOI CBD (The Complete Review)
- CBD Pure Review [TESTED]
- Charlottes Web Hemp CBD Review
- CBD FAQ: All the ANSWERS in One Place
- CBD for Pain [Exploring Which Oils Really Work]
- CBD for Anxiety [Discover How it REALLY works]
- Green Roads CBD Review
- Elixinol CBD Review + 10% Discount Code
- CBD Essence Review + 5% Discount Code
- Review of PureKana + 5% Discount Code